Monday, August 12, 2013

(End of) Summertime Sadness

All good things must come to an end, and summer break is no exception. Over the past 9 weeks there have been concerts, beach trips, long work days, resort weekends and slumber parties. Unfortunately, the start of school eliminates most of a teenager's free time and such adventures can be difficult to have. But the warm memories of these sweltering days can always be reflected upon fondly until next year rolls around and the time for summer comes yet again. So as a permanent record of my most eventful summer ever, I thought I would make a master post of my holiday. So without further ado, I present to you the Best and Worst of Summer 2013...

Best:

- Disneyland with Sophia and Zach. This day was so so much fun. Despite the heat and the lines, we managed to have a great time and it was a great excuse to escape reality for a day.

- The southern photo shoot with Lily and Maisie. Using Maisie's super nice camera and ample amounts of ironic clothing, we created a redneck family and photographed their life in Maisie's backyard. The photos are super embarrassing but they were so much fun to shoot.

- CAMP!!!! Working at my old arts camp was one of the highlights of my summer. I love the counselors, I love the kids, and I love the boba . I can't wait until next year to reprise the experience.


- Thrifting with Eden and Little Tokyo with Maisie. I won't elaborate as much on these two as there are individual posts on them.

- My cousin, Sammy, coming to town. Although there were some rough patches, we really bonded and had a great time. The OC fair with him and Jesse was definitely a highlight.

- Welcome to Night Vale. This creepy, funny, philosophical podcast is #1 in America. Focusing on the imaginary desert town of Night Vale and narrated by Cecil Baldwin, the podcast is a mixture of horror and comedy. One of the best parts is the budding romance between Cecil and hot scientist, Carlos. If you haven't already been converted, I highly suggest listening to it.

- The short vacation my family took to Ojai, where we stayed at the idyllic resort. The sweeping green lawns, whitewashed villas, spa and pool are what make the place so great. Our three days there were filled with morning yoga classes, evening meditation, great food and hours spent by the poolside. It was, without a doubt, the most relaxing vacation I've ever taken. Wandering amongst the fragrant lavender and sunbathing in the noon sun really helped me calm down and reflect upon my imminent return to school. 


- The golden trio's (Maisie, Eden and I) last sleepover. As Eden leaves for boarding school soon, last weekend was our last chance for a slumber party. We built a pillow fort on my bed, in which we watched ironic movies and blogged into the wee hours of the morning. The next morning we went to a vintage festival where we each bought something. I plan on wearing my new dress to the first day of school tomorrow. Although I am sad that Eden is leaving, I know that our friendship can survive the miles and the time difference. 


Worst:

- My facial expressions in those redneck photos.

- Having to say goodbye to my camp kids.

- Having to say goodbye to Eden.

- My lobster red sunburn from those long hours spent by the pool. Whenever you guys go outside, please please please put on sunscreen. This will protect you from cancerous damage and massive amounts of pain.

- Falling off of my bike and skidding downhill. This little incident earned me several battle scars and gross scabs that I shall be proudly sporting tomorrow at school (woopie). 

Overall, this summer was really fantastic. As much as I would like it to go on longer, I do feel ready for school tomorrow. School certainly provides enough room for adventure and excitement. Freshman year, no matter how tough things get, will surely be lively. For those of you who still have summer left: enjoy every last minute of it. And for those who have school in the morning: you are beautiful and strong and can handle anything, have a wonderful day.



No comments:

Post a Comment