Sunday, August 18, 2013

Welcome to Night Vale

Have you ever listened to a song or a podcast and just fallen in love? I have, and I can't keep this newfound love to myself any more. I recently started listening to a podcast called Welcome to Night Vale and I can't stop. This bi-monthly podcast is a radio show for the fictional desert town of Night Vale. The show is hosted by a guy named Cecil Baldwin, who is perfect. His velvety voice is eerie yet soothing, I recommend listening to it in the dark under lots of blankets. The pilot episode begins with a new scientist moving to town. His name is Carlos, he is beautiful and perfect, and Cecil is in love with him. There is also an old woman, Josie, who talks to angels, a racist white guy who dresses like a native american called the Apache tracker, an intern named Dana, the mayor, Pamela Winchell, a cat named Khoshekh who hovers next to the sink in the men's bathroom, and you. You play a recurring role on the show. Yes indeed, the listener is referenced in several podcasts including an episode called "A story about you"which is actually a story about you.

(From left to right: Station management, Cecil, Khoshekh, Carlos, Dana, the Apache Tracker, mayor Pamela Winchell,Old woman Josie and the angel Erika, You)

The drawing above is only what I believe the characters to look like, as it is a radio show there is not really any solid descriptions of any of them. Anyways, the show is very creepy and very funny. there are a lot of really poignant undertones, and many relevant issues are addressed. the show is also very representative of the American population. The main two characters are queer, there's a discriminatory douche, and several ethnic personalities. And just in case you need another incentive, the show plays really cool music during the weather section (trust me, it's as weird as it sounds). It is also 100% free! So if you want to laugh, cry, tremble in fear, and gain a new and interesting perspective on life, listen to this podcast. If you want to do more research before starting this potentially terrifying journey, i recommend surfing the #wtnv tag on tumblr. It's full of super great fan art and theories about the show. 

I promise that this podcast doesn't disappoint. It's full of mystery, romance and general weirdness. It's beautifully written and produced, I can't get enough of it. Dare I say that it is my favorite addiction ever? I do. So please please check them out at http://commonplacebooks.com/welcome-to-night-vale/# and if you like the show, donate donate donate! Until next time, dear readers.


2 comments:

  1. Lovely art Sofia! I'm going to give the show a listen tonight. The new background picture is very cute by the way!!

    ReplyDelete