Friday, July 19, 2013

Bromances aren't just for boys

Everybody has that one friend. A person who knows them better than anyone, who's just as good for profound moments as they are for a laugh. This person hasn't necessarily known them the longest, but it certainly feels like they do. For me, this friend is Jesse. I've known Jesse my entire life, literally. Only six weeks older than me, she has been my friend since the day I was born. Weekends were spent in each other's yards and I was never absent from her annual Halloween and Easter parties. Throughout my entire life, she has been there. For fourteen years, I have had a wonderful companion to share my adventures with. And I couldn't be more grateful for it.

(Jesse and I at Oxnard)

I don't see Jesse as often as I did when I was younger, but we still maintain a close friendship. Even if we go for weeks and weeks without seeing each other, we can still easily slip back into out old patterns. It is immensely reassuring to have such a stable friend. It is safe to say that in my entire life I have never had any other best friend. It's like having a sister but without the fighting and competition. In ways, it is the best kind of relationship to have. If there is one thing that I am sure of, it is that I will never lose touch with Jesse. We could be on opposite sides of the world, but no amount of sea or sky could ever breach our friendship. 

I hope that all of you have a friend like her, someone to support you and love you for who you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment