Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Kids in the riot

Recently my friends and I took a trip to Disneyland. As a small child, the park was a place of wonder and adventure. A place where princesses roamed among the common people and I could come face to face with my childhood hero, Peter Pan. In my later stages of childhood I lost interest in the park, it seemed too childish and immature. Enjoying princesses at that age would have been, well, embarrassing. But now, as a teenager, I have been returned to that place of childhood wonder.

As we grow older, we find ourselves more attracted to the things of our past. There is something so joyously thrilling about being reconnected with the things of the past. Being in that park was like being a child again. For several hours the strain of the outside world was lifted from our shoulders and we were able to simply be. I loved every minute of it.

(splash mountain is the greatest ride. shhhh don't argue)

I think I got more out of Disneyland as a teenager than I did as a child. Being older allows you to appreciate the beauty of the world that Walt Disney created. It lets you have the freedom to explore that you didn't have as child. It's nostalgic and lovely and fantastic. That night, as the three of us lay exhausted upon the hotel lawn, we agreed to make this trip an annual event. There is something about this comfortable sense of false childhood that keeps us all grounded. In this crazy world, it is something we all sorely need.

5 comments:

  1. This was beautifully written <3

    http://myperpetualperplexities.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the face Zach is making. he looks so suave. Totally agree with you on getting more out of disney as a teen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Sofia! You must do a guest post for my site, Sweetie!
    xo, g.

    ReplyDelete